Atheros Wireless Network Adapter for Windows 7
This document shows you, how to identify the built-in Wireless Lan card of your notebook, and which driver version is installed.
Boot your notebook and follow the below steps:
- Click on "Start"
- Click into the "Search field"
- Enter "pc diag" into the search field
- Click on "PC Diagnostic Tool" in the result list of the search
- The tool will now open and the basic information about your PC will be refreshed
- After the refres has finished, the basic information about your computer will be shown like below
- At the row "Network", you can see your Network cards listed. In this case, a Realtek WLAN card and an Atheros LAN card
- If the version number of the driver is not fully shown (as in this example), you can save the result list to a text file, to get the full information.
Click on the "Save Result" Button on the bottom, to save the list.
- A save dialog window opens, and you can choose the destination folder, where you want to save the file. In this example, we save the file to the folder C:/temp.
- After you clicked "Save", you will be asked, if you want to continue saving the file. Click "Yes" to save.
- Now we can open the saved result view, to show the full information.
Click on "View Saved Results" on the bottom of the PC Diagnostic Tool window
- Select the saved file in the open file dialog and click "Open"
- The text file will be shown with notepad and you can see the full information about your wireless network card
(marked blue in this example)
- Now we know, that the notebook in this example has an built-in Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN card and the installed driver version is 1005.12.105.2011
If you want to update the driver, you can go to and check, if there is a newer driver for your Wireless LAN card.